Sunday, November 14, 2010

Counter Narrative Blog

In my text I am making Cinderella a boy (Cinderalvin), the prince a princess, and the step sisters and mother, step brothers and father.  I think that this has several implications on the text about gender restrictions.  First of all it shows a female aiding a male on his rise to the top.  This is very important because the female character has the power and uses it to save the male character.  Secondly it shows a female character choosing who she gets to marry and marrying for love rather than for duty or economic purposes.  By changing the villains to male characters as well it eliminates the stereotypical character of the "evil stepmother."  Also then Cinderalvin and his two stepbrothers are competing for the affection of the princess, giving her even more power.   This version of Cinderella also shows a girl chasing a boy, which is the reverse of the gender stereotypes.  I can't decide whether or not to keep the fairy godmother a woman or to make her a man as well.  Part of me is like who says only women can be magical, but it is hard for me to see that role as a man (probably because of my own preconceptions).  Then I considered making it a flamboyant sassy godfather, but then was concerned that that still furthers the stereotype that only feminine figures can give magical makeovers.  Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment