Monday, August 30, 2010

Researching the Self

         Especially as a child I read a lot of books and many of them have changed me in little ways and I think each of them has contributed to who I am, so it was very difficult to choose a specific book.  I considered The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino because one of my favorite teachers gave it to me and Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster because they both expanded my imagination and inspired in me a love of words and wordplay.  But then I remembered a book that taught me who I wanted to be and inspired my imagination at a very young age, A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
        A Little Princess was one of the few hardcover books I owned besides picture books and it had a gorgeous cover. I read it several times as a child and once again as an adolescent.  I was in love with the book itself and loved it even more because of the beautiful, magical story it told.  But more than the magic and the imagination of Sara, what I learned from her was how to be a good person.  This girl went from being the cream of the crop to the bottom of the barrel literally overnight.  Of course in the end there is a happy ending and she is returned to her fortune but the way Sarah handled that misfortune was with grace and beauty.  She kept herself afloat by telling herself stories and letting her imagination run away with her into a land where she was still a princess.  Even when she had nothing, she shared what she had with her friend Becky.   That is very much who I strive to be today.  I am constantly spinning fantasies and dreaming up perfect worlds.  I think I have in many ways managed to find the joy of life in any situation the way Sara did and usually have her good luck to end up back on top as well.  Many of the things I admire about myself and others are characteristics that I encountered in Sara.  She is loving, compassionate, generous, humble, grateful, loyal, creative, and smart.  Of course at the time I never knew that this character was going to be a role model for myself and a standard to hold others to, but in a way she has become that.  She is no longer just a beautiful picture on the cover of a cherished hardcover book, but a girl who lives on as part of my life.


                                                      
     

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post as A Little Princess was also one of my favorite books growing up. As you mentioned I loved seeing her transition from being rich to maid in the school and seeing how this affected her as she went back to her previous life. We definitely see her grow as a person and also see her impact her peers in the school as well. I particularly loved seeing how she changed others- her father (even though he wasn't a big character), the girls who were not so nice to her, and the other workers at the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you bring up an important point about relating to characters in books. I think when we're young (or even also when we're older) this is a key factor in liking a story. Whether you see yourself in the character, or wish to be more like him or her, I think we can all agree that some of our favorite books are those that hit close to our hearts in that way. I think your ideas here prove the power of fantasy and highlight the special relationships we can have with characters in our favorite stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have never read the book A Little Princess, I know the story very well. I too learned a lot from the character of Sara. I admired how she was able to overcome adversity and become a better person. Like she did for you, she taught me not to take anything for granted and to try to enjoy life no matter what the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with you regarding the importance of the relationships you build with characters. Relating to characters is definitely one of the key elements I have in enjoying a story and learning from it. Looking back on all the books I've really enjoyed from childhood, they all enabled me to relate to the character, learn from them, and, at times, to strive to be more like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this conversation thread and how you have all picked up on the ways books create space for doing different sorts of real-life and imaginary life work. What happens as we build relationships with characters is certainly an important notion to consider. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete